Nevada Board of Certification
Wastewater Treatment Plant Operators
November 19, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Meeting was called to order at 9:00 AM
Attendees: John Solvie, Adrian Edwards, Kelvin Ikehara, Harvey Johnson, Bill Shepherd, Starlin Jones, Joe Crim, and Jennifer McMartin
Introduction of guest
Approval of August 13, 2009 meeting minutes
• John Solvie made a motion to approve the minutes as presented, Kelvin Ikehara 2nd.
o Motion carries.
Program Administrator report
• Computer exams update
o The scores for the computerized exams are higher than the pencil and paper exams.
Assistant Program Administrator Items
• Exam pass/fail info conversation with ABC
o ABC is looking at pass/fail rates for the grade III and IV exams nationally. The Certification Board will be reviewing the Grade IV exam before the next Board meeting.
• CSN classes – Can web classes be made available to other colleges: WNCC, GBC, TMCC?
o The Certification Board will look into the possibility of offering an online Wastewater class through the college.
o The ABC Need to Know Criteria will be mailed to all examinees with the exam approval letter.
CEU’S for certification renewals
• Notification of operators – Voluntary Continuing Education policy
o All operators with an email address will be sent an email in December.
o The operators with certificates that expire in January will be receiving a letter regarding the new policy.
• Approval of WEF courses
o WEF will be contacted about Nevada approving the courses that are available through WEF.
• Pre-approval of continuing education courses. Currently there are 3 courses that have been approved on the NWEA website.
• Encourage facilities to have in-house training pre-approved.
o In-house training will not be listed on the website, but could be open to outside agencies. In-house training has to be approved by the Certification board.
Continuing education participation update
• Some operators have already begun submitting continuing education documentation with their renewals.
Pond Certification Exams
• Rural Operator pass/fail data was presented to the Board.
o The Board’s conclusion is that more study time is needed by the examinees.
• ABC has a prescriptive small wastewater exam. This exam has not been validated; therefore, it is not a legally defensible exam.
o The prescriptive small wastewater exam is not an option at this time.
o The Chairman will contact Val King with NDEP and Bob Forester with NVRWA regarding the Board’s decision.
In-kind Service Information
• Board member hours
o All Board members hours were reviewed.
• Chair/Program Adm./Vice Chair hours
o Hours were reviewed and accounted for.
Policies & Procedures
o There are no updates/changes at this time.
• Nevada OSHA is requiring all construction type workers to have a 10/30 OSHA class.
• Starlin will be teaching an Operator Certification class at the upcoming NWEA Conference.
Water Certification Board Update
• Duncan Wright filled Steve Brockway’s vacated position.
• Over the next 2 years the Association of Boards of Certification will be phasing out the multiple-entry exams.
• The training calendar is up-to-date with water and wastewater training.
New Business for Consideration at next meeting
• Add NDEP Contract to the agenda.
Next Board Meeting
• February 11, 2010 at the CCWRD is Las Vegas, NV.