Recognizes a municipal or industrial wastewater facility for establishing and maintaining an active and effective safety program. This award was established in 1982 in honor of George W. Burke, Jr., for his many years of service to both the water environment field and WEF as staff manager of technical services. Mr. Burke was instrumental in developing WEF's annual safety survey and assisting in the production of several safety training aids and promotional packets.
The purpose of this award is to encourage an active and effective safety program in municipal and industrial wastewater facilities.
Award presented by a WEF representative at the WEF Member Association Annual Meeting.
The documented and illustrated safety program and safety record of the facility for the preceding calendar year are the primary criteria for the award.
Additionally, each WEF Member Association is allowed full freedom to establish its own criteria.
Nominations Accepted From:
WEF Member Associations
Eight weeks prior to the WEF MA Annual Meeting
Burke Award Recipients:
- Truckee Meadows Water Reclamation Facility 2019
- City of Carson City Water Reclamation Plant 2012
- City of Las Vegas Water Pollution Control Facility 2010
- Truckee Meadows Water Reclamation Facility 2007
- City of Henderson Water Reclamation Facility 2003
- City of Henderson Water Reclamation Facility 2000
- City of Henderson Water Reclamation Facility 1997
- City of Henderson Water Reclamation Facility 1994
- Reno-Sparks Wastewater Treatment Facility 1991
- Clark County Sanitation District Secondary Treatment Plant 1986
- Reno-Sparks Wastewater Treatment Facility 1983